Polish Think Tank
The Sobieski Institute is a multidisciplinary centre for analysis, a think-tank, concerned with current political issues, as well as matters of significance for Poland’s socio-economic development. As an independent, non-governmental organisation, the Institute formulates ideas for public life in Poland on the basis of its own research and analysis. The Institute became a foundation in 2004. The Institute is directed by Jan Filip Stanilko, Maciej Rapkiewicz and Leszek Skiba, Members of The Board.
The Institute’s Mission
The Institute’s mission is to formulate ideas for Poland. The Institute is committed to: a strong but limited state, the independence and responsibility of the individual, economic freedom, and a social order based on natural law. In carrying on our activities we aim to maintain intellectual courage, a critical approach, humility, and respect for wisdom and values.
The Sobieski Institute:
- formulates political and economic strategies;
- initiates public debate;
- constitutes a forum for academics, professionals, politicians, journalists and other persons wishing to contribute to public life.
Areas of Activity
The Institute is active in fields which cover, among other things:
- defence and security policy;
- energy policy;
- international relations and foreign policy;
- public finance and monetary policies;
- the political system and political discourse.
Sample achievements of the Institute include: a political history project „Poland – Home of Freedom” („Polska – Dom Wolnosci”), options for strengthening the supervision of Poland’s capital markets, a tax reform agenda, a program for the oil sector and a project on „Public Hearings” („Publicznego wysluchania”).
Experts and analysts
The Sobieski Institute comprises experts with extensive academic and professional experience, supported by analysts. Their knowledge and experience is utilised in many areas of socio-political life in Poland. Persons involved with the Institute are active in academic, business, media and government spheres and are often directly engaged in the development of policy through participation in government, and by consulting in key sectors. However, an essential principle of the Institute is its independence from political parties. Independence is safeguarded through the exclusion of an expert in the event of his or her taking up political office.
Forms of activity
The Institute’s activities are clearly aimed at opinion-formers, politicians, academics, business, non-government organisations, media and society generally. For this reason we seek to disseminate our work extensively.
Our activities primarily take the following forms:
- preparation and publication of reports and expert opinions;
- cooperation with domestic and foreign think-tanks and cooperation on particular projects;
- organisation of conferences, seminars and context-specific training;
- presentation of opinions and commentaries in the media (including foreign media);
- preparation of expert opinions for public institutions and business entities;
- a program of public and business consultation;
- presentation of lectures, debates and discussion panels;
- preparation and publication of articles and books;
- continuing development of material on the internet.
In years 2003-2010 the Institute published the „International Political Review” („Miedzynarodowy Przeglad Polityczny”) (http://www.mpp.org.pl). This journal was aimed at people involved in politics at all levels, members of Parliament, Parliamentary advisers and journalists working with political issues, including international politics. An important target group was students and academics. The journal’s main task was to transfer the latest developments in political thought from major political centres in Europe and USA.
We wish to invite people who possess significant academic or professional experience to become experts of the Institute. We also extend this invitation for co-operation to think-tanks, other non-governmental organisations, public institutions and businesses.
The Institute is open to cooperation with tertiary students and graduates. We offer work experience through which talented students are given an opportunity to work with experts in key areas of public life in Poland. Our university program also propagates ideas and educates the younger generation through a cycle of lectures conducted by experts and analysts connected with the Institute.
Individuals and institutions seeking more information about the Institute or wishing to cooperate with us are kindly asked to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org